I have been going to Core Power Yoga regularly for the past 6 months now and I absolutely love every moment of it. I bought a Groupon deal some time back in February and when that expired I was devastated that I couldn’t go anymore on an unlimited basis. But I decided it’s a great investment for my health and long term being I purchased the black tag membership and now I can go unlimited times as I please. Not only the class does an excellent job instructing their yoga moves but they also teach and advise key words and phases that we can use and embrace in our day to day lives. One of the keyword they used was “accept” accept who you are and who you have become and be proud of it. When I heard that I immediately reflected to the changes I made in the first six months of this year. I decided to take a major turn in my career life; I put my financial analyst career to a halt and went to culinary school. As the days and months passed by, I have learned to accept who I truly am and I feel really happy about it. My husband is my biggest supporter and I couldn’t ask for anything more! I am learning to become a chef in the making. So far the journey had been quite eventful and I am enjoying every moment of it.
Moving on to spareribs for today's menu, they are one of my husband's favorites. And Chinese people like to have these as appetizers. My family restaurant has this listed on their appetizer section and its always a hit! Yum! If you have never had Chinese style spareribs, you gotta to try them. They are so tasty!
Today I have prepared oven roasted spareribs. My husband is a huge fan of spareribs, especially ones prepared with marinara sauce. But today I am opting out the sauce and going a different route. Recently, our condo was fumigated and we threw out a lot of stuff in my kitchen to free up space. I looked in my spice cabinet and decided I can make a wet bbq sauce with the Belizean bbq seasonings I have. I am utilizing what i have and improvising.
½ rack of spareribs
3 large garlic cloves
3 springs of scallions, chopped
1 c ketcup
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp Belizean bbq seasoning (you can substitute it with any kind of dry bbq seasoning)
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbps of cinnamon honey (any kind of mild flavor honey works too)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Have your mise en place ready
2. Season the spareribs with salt and pepper. I am using Kirkland’s black pepper and their Himalayan Pink salt.
3. Mix the brown sugar, Belizean seasoning, garlic power together in a bowl.
4. Add in the cup of ketchup and mix well together.
5. Using a kitchen brush, brush the BBQ sauce onto the spareribs. Make sure to coat it evenly.
6. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
6. Next drizzle 2 tbsp of honey over the spareribs. Tuck the garlic and shallots under the rack of ribs.
7. Pop them in into the oven and let it slow roast for 2 hours.
8. 2 hours later, take the ribs out and cover with foil, turn off the oven and keep it in the oven for another hour.
9. When ready this is what it looks like. You can see from your left, one of the bones have fallen off. This is how the ribs should look like.
My mouth is watering as I write this. I can guarantee they taste even better than it looks.
I paired the ribs with a side of stir fried Yukon gold potatoes. (Recipe below).
Again I used what I have in the fridge and the potatoes were a great turn out.
Chinese Stir Fried Yukon Golden Potatoes
4 medium size Yukon potatoes
2 – 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
2 tbsp of soy sauce
2 tbsp of Chinese oyster sauce
1 tbsp of corn starch
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp scallions
s&p tt (to taste)
1. Heat up a medium size frying pan on medium high heat, add in the vegetable oil and s&p, let that heat for about 30 seconds.
2. Add the potatoes and stir-fry them in the pan for about 10 minutes until they are tender.
3. In the meantime, using a small mixing bowl, mix the oyster sauce, soy sauce and corn starch with 3 tbsp of water, mix well together and pour that into the stir-fried potatoes. Let that cook for another 5 minutes.
4.Garnish the dish with the chopped scallions and serve.
I hope you guys enjoyed it!